To proceed to manipulations with product categories, go to " Product catalog -> Product categories "
The list of categories includes:
- Possibility of simplified creation of categories
- Information Id, Title, nesting, link
- Possibility to delete
- Possibility to make a category Active/Inactive. If the category is inactive, then all child categories and products will not be available on the site for users and will return a 404 status
- Possibility not to show a category in the menu. In this case, the category remains active, but is not visually displayed in the list of categories on the site. The user will not be able to see it.
When creating and editing, the same fields are available. There are 3 building blocks - information, settings, meta-data.
Information tab :
- Title . The main name of the category that will be visible everywhere.
- Parent . Responsible for the category nesting. If not selected, then the category is the main one.
- Logo . If there are no products in the category, but there are child categories, then a block with a list of categories will be shown, in which these images will participate.
- Description . Seo text for search engines, displayed at the bottom of the category if pagination (page switching) was not enabled.
Settings tab :
- Category template . The field has the following values: empty (then it works by default), category (normal display of products), section (display of only child categories. In this case, the children need to set the Logo). This field was created more for developers to be able to flexibly customize views.
- URL . Category link. You can set your own or use the "Auto-select" button.
- Default sorting . The default sorting principle.
- Active . Indicates whether the category is active or not. All child categories and products in these categories will also be inactive on the site (it will be 404, be careful).
- Show in the main menu . Allows you to remove a category from the list on the site, but not affect its activity.
- Do not show the short name of the site . Allows you to disable adding the site name to the meta-title (related to SEO).
Tab "Meta data" :
- H1 . Title, if you want the title to be different from the category name.
- Meta Description . Category description for search engines.
- Meta title . Page title for search engines.
- Meta keywords . Keywords for search engines.
Deletion can be done only from the list of categories by ticking the categories you need to delete.
When deleting, remember:
- Delete category
- The goods that lie in it will be deleted
- Remove all child categories (if any)
- The goods that lie in them will be deleted
Attention! If there are more than 500 products for deletion in all categories taken together, then it is best to delete these products manually first and only then delete the categories. Items may not be completely deleted (depending on server settings).